Who Benefits From Fluoride?
Fluoride treatments are routinely used after preventive care appointments for children, but many adults benefit from fluoride treatment as much as, or even more than children. Adults who show the following characteristics would benefit from a fluoride treatment:
- Frequent decay
- Gum recession with exposed roots (roots are more susceptible to decay)
- Dry mouth (a lack of normal saliva flow makes teeth more prone to decay)
- Infrequent brushing and flossing
- Frequent consumption of soda pop or other acidic drinks
- Crowns or multiple fillings (edges of crowns and fillings are prone to decay)
- Active orthodontic treatment (brackets trap more plaque making teeth more likely to decay)
- Developmental defects in the teeth
Who Doesn't Need Fluoride?
If you have never had a cavity or have not had one for several years, eat a healthy diet low in sugar, brush 2-3 times a day and floss once a day, you do not need fluoride.
Will My Insurance Cover This Service?
Generally insurance does not cover fluoride for adults, however with a minimal $20.00 investment you can prevent future costly repairs.